Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Snickerdoodles


Snickerdoodles are one of those cookies that make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Despite the fact that my family never celebrated Christmas, I always took part in some sort of festivities with close friends. Certain treats, like snickerdoodles and peppermint bark, were always a part of the holiday season for me, and just the thought of them makes me nostalgic. When we had people over for a little holiday party I knew I had to attempt making them for myself. I was also intensely inspired by the Bake or Break post on Snickerdoodles and Chocodoodles, which was so beautiful that it shoved me into attempting my own little balls of cinnamon-sugary goodness!

Snickerdoodles
from Nigella Lawson's How to Be a Domestic Goddess
makes about 32 cookies


1 & 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar, + 2 tablespoons for rolling cookies
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°. Line or grease baking sheets and set aside. Combine flour, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

Beat butter and 1/3 cup sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients until smooth.

Mix together cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Pinch dough into walnut-sized pieces and roll into balls. Roll each ball in cinnamon/sugar mixture, and place on baking sheets.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool and enjoy!

1 comment:

Gretchen Noelle said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog. It is great to see some of the tasty things you have on here. I love snickerdoodles and adore lemon. Look forward to seeing what else you have in store!