Saturday, April 12, 2008

Black Bean Salad

One of my favorite types of American cuisines is Southwestern. There is something about the combination of lime and cilantro that makes my mouth water with delight. One of the things about Southwestern cuisine thought, is that, like Mediterranean cuisine, it's not very complicated in the process, so you need to make sure you have the best possible ingredients. For this reason, I find myself not usually making Southwestern style foods as much in the winter because things like tomatoes and cilantro never seems fresh enough. When my friend Sam had a barbecue for his birthday a couple weeks ago though, and the weather was warm and perfect, I knew it was close enough to summer to make a nice big Southwestern salad. This one was super easy and was finished within minutes of putting it out on the table. I'd definitely recommend it if you want something a little different to make. The combination of lime and honey and cumin and cilantro that hits you in every bite is phenomenal. Give it a whirl!

Black Bean Salad
from Guy Fieri
serves 6-8


2 cans black beans, drained, about 30 ounces
1 (15-ounce) can corn, drained
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup diced green onions
1/4 cup diced pineapple
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lime
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
Pinch ground cumin

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.

4 comments:

reenbo said...

it looks really tasty...I make something similar but I never would have thought to add pineapple!

SaraLynn said...

this looks divine!!

Paola Westbeek said...

How beautiful and healthy- looking! Yum!

paola

namesconnie said...

Your food looks great at this site. I bookmarked it. Thanks for posting these recipes with photos. Sincerely, Connie