Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My First Week in France

So far, living in Nice has been amazing. The apartment my university found for me is only a few meters from the beach, so I've been going there quite often, especially at night where the water is tranquille and the people are always...colorful. My classes don't really start for another two weeks, so I've been enjoying my free time, doing as much as I can, taking it all with une bouche ouverte.

This is a picture from the first lunch I "made" in my new apartment. Even though summer's essentially over, the tomatoes here are still sweet and delicious.

When I was walking around in Vieux Nice, I stopped to get some gelato and was amazed at the variety of flavors they offered. What did I end up chosing? Salted Butter Caramel. SO heavenly.

After a meeting at the university one day, I stopped for a quick lunch of Quiche Florentine. The crust was so flaky and perfect and it was served piping hot.

This was a ridiculously ambitious sandwich I made for myself one night for dinner when I was starving. It consists of baguette (DUH!), tuna fish (in olive oil, of course), sauteed mushrooms and shallots, swiss cheese, sliced tomatoes, and slices of hard-boiled eggs. When I tried to combine these two halves it was the biggest (but most delicious) mess ever.

I've encountered this type of cookie a few times since I've been here. It has a yummy chocolate filling and I love how cookies like this are not RIDICULOUSLY sweet (so you don't feel bad eating more of them). At first I thought this guy was some sort of super hero but then I realized the cookies are called the Little Prince cookies, and now I love them even more.

And finally, THIS is why I'm sure I picked the right country to study abroad in.

As soon as I can, I'll post some pictures from a trip this past weekend into the French Alps and some wild fruits and herbs I encountered.

6 comments:

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I am sooo jealous! Every photo is calling out to me!

Brilynn said...

Everything looks wonderful, I'm sure you're going to enjoy your time in France. Studying abroad was one of the best experiences I had during school.

Manggy said...

Oboy! Adventure! In France! I swear it doesn't get better than that. Please do keep updating us when you can! :)

Alexa said...

Your post is a trip down memory lane for me. First, because I spent a good chunk of my childhood in Nice. Also, when I went to "la fac", I lived on the quiche the school restaurant sold because it was cheap and sooo tasty. Finally, those cookies that you have in the picture were often part of mon gouter. Thanks for sharing and bringing a smile to my face. Enjoy la promenade des anglais, le vieux nice et toutes les bonnes choses nicoises!

Jade said...

Hi, Sara I think your blog is so cute and colorful. Have a blast in Europe I'm sure you will!

Nayereh said...

all of these meals with eggs, cheese and atune?! Perfect!