Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Orange and Green Olive Salad


As you may or may not know, I am a serious salad lover. I can easily consume mounds and mounds of salad greens, dressed only with yummy olive oil and salt. My average weeknight salad always contains arugula and whatever nuts (walnuts, almonds, pecans) and seeds (sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds) I have around, plus some sort of crumbly cheese (feta or goat). Occasionally more raw vegetables get worked into the mix. Ultimately salad preparation is a pretty spontaneous, haphazard process for me. Occasionally though, I stumble upon a salad recipe that looks too good not to try. This blood orange, green olive salad from Food52 definitely fits the bill.


I used my current favorite variety of green olives, whose name I can't remember, but they are a brighter green than most green olives, large, and very buttery in flavor. Honestly though, this salad would probably be delicious with any variety you manage to find. The tanginess of the orange pairs really nicely with the briny olives, and the onions and arugula provide some extra crunch. Try it out!


Orange, Green Olive Salad
modified (i.e. simplified) from Food52
serves 4

a bed of arugula for each plate (maybe about 5 oz of arugula total?)
4 blood oranges (I used cara cara oranges which are more pinkish, but equally bright in flavor. I would also try this with grapefruit.)
1/4 small onion
4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons quality olive oil
8 to 10 green olives, pitted and torn into quarters

As they point out over at Food52, this salad is fantastic because it can be easily assembled right on the plate. I started with a bed of arugula, and dressed that with some of the olive oil, vinegar, and coarsely ground salt and pepper.

Next peel the oranges and cut off as much of the pith as possible. Cut into slices 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch thick. Layer the slices over the arugula.

Thinly slice the onion and top the salad with the onion slivers and the olives. Top with more olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.

3 comments:

Dora said...

I just saw some recipe like this posted somewhere, and was thinking it sounded exciting! Very nice photos :)

property dealer in Delhi said...

yummy i like it

Abhijeet Kumar said...

Awesome Orange, Green Olive Salad and i have seen this picture are very good very innovative blog Thank You
Abhjeet
Home Care Products - grooming products