Monday, October 15, 2007

Tomato Coconut Curry with Tofu

So I bought curry powder and coconut milk last week because I figured a yummy curry sauce would be good with all the tofu I make. I wasn't sure when or how I would use it, but the opportunity presented itself when a cause for celebration was revealed. Nayereh called me at 5 to tell me that she was accepted to the study abroad program which means she spends 2 weeks this January in India. To celebrate, I set out to make a dish. I am proud to admit, after looking at a few recipes online (none of which I had all the ingredients to), I made up my own thing!

Tomato Coconut and Tofu Curry
serves 2

2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 box of extra-firm tofu
enough flour to dredge the tofu in
olive oil to coat the pan (a couple times)
1-2 portobello mushroom caps
1 red bell pepper
1 white onion, quartered
a handful of chives
1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes
1 can of coconut milk
a handful of fresh parsely

I first mixed up all the spices and set that aside. I used that mixture to season all elements of this dish at various stages in the cooking process.

After draining the excess liquid from the tofu (see Broccoli & Tofu Stir-Fry), I dredged it in flour and egg and then pan fried it in some olive oil. While that was frying in one pan, I sautéed the mushrooms and red pepper in another. When they were done frying, I added the vegetables to the tofu pan (because it's bigger and better) and seasoned everything heavily.

Meanwhile, I put the onion, chives, tomatoes, coconut milk, parsley, and a bit of the seasoning in the food processor. After that was at a smooth consistency, I added it to the fried tofu-vegetable mixture and let it sit together and thicken. When it was thick enough, I heated up some leftover brown rice from chinese a couple nights ago and poured the curry mixture over it.

No comments: