Friday, June 26, 2009

Sesame Chicken Satay

So I have a really terrible confession to make. Dear reader, I implore you: don't judge me. Surely I'm not the only one out there with this uncurable vice...Well anyway, I am addicted to the Food Network. There, I said it. It's true, I had no access to it while in France, but now that I'm back this addiction is raging hardcore. I find myself constantly checking the clock to see if it's time for Barefoot Contessa with the classy and fabulous Ina Garten or Boy Meets Grill with the adorable and inventive Bobby Flay. Even annoying Rachael Ray doesn't seem so bad when she's whipping up something with some semblance of interestingness. I mean look, this addiction hasn't been all bad. On some level, food TV can be educational and I know my culinary knowledge has (sort of?) expanded because of it. At the very least, I'm constantly seeing different, (mostly) new recipes. Because I see so many, the final product has to look really pretty darn good for me to make note of it and try it later. The one I'm sharing with you today is REALLY good, I promise.

Unfortunately though, the Food Network falls prey to the same system that runs the rest of the TV world: being slaves to ratings. New shows are constantly popping up and before you get a chance to make up your mind about them, they're already out the window. One that I actually enjoyed was Party Line with the Hearty Boys, a show in which two caterors shared some of their favorite recipes for big parties. I thought it was cool having two hosts (instead of the usual one) who actually managed to share the screen well instead of looking like a pair of bumbling idiots. One of my favorite recipes they shared which I have made many times since seeing the episode is their Sesame Chicken Satay. It seems annoying because it has so many ingredients, but all you have to do is dump them all in the food processor and you have a really delicious sauce.

When I saw that the ingredient of the month for Sunita's Think Spice event was sesame, I knew I had to submit this favorite. While the recipe recommends using the leftover sauce as a dipping sauce, I've found more creamy sauces add a refreshing touch (once I served it with plain labneh--delicious!). Find out more about this event at Sunita's World.

Sesame Chicken Satay
makes 50 pieces

1 cup rice wine vinegar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Sesame oil
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
25 chicken tenders, halved on the bias
1/2 cup chopped scallions, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves, plus 1 tablespoons for garnish
1/4 cup sesame seeds, for garnish
6-inch bamboo skewers

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine vinegar, peanut butter, soy sauce, vegetable oil, sesame oil, to taste, sugar and ginger in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until smooth. Toss 1 1/2 cups of the peanut butter mixture with the chicken tenders in a bowl until the chicken is well coated. Spread the chicken out in a baking pan in a single layer. Bake until the tenders are firm to the touch, about 30 minutes. Let cool.

Thread a skewer into each tender. Arrange on a platter and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped herbs. Put the remaining sauce into a small bowl and serve.

3 comments:

Manggy said...

Oh, don't be SO ashamed, there are some gems there, like this satay ;) Weren't those two the winners of next FN star?

Sara said...

Exactly, and I love the next FN star because when I'm sitting on my couch at home, I'm absolutely convinced I could do a better job than half of them. But the silly thing about that show is most of the people who win only end up having shows for like 5 minutes! They sweat and toil for nothing!

Dora said...

I can't wait to eat more of your food!